Tuesday, August 31, 2010

178.6 Carefree Highway


Recently my brother-in-law reminded us of the Gordon Lightfoot song entitled Carefree Highway. We live about 5 miles from the eastern end of Carefree Highway. Yes, there is such a road that cuts east and west across the northern boundaries of Scottsdale and Phoenix all the way to Wickenburg. It is very beautiful in some parts, and rather strip mall-ish in others. Little independent churches in shopping malls are interspersed with cactus nurseries, an occasional Mexican restaurant, and some housing developments that remind me of ghost towns since so few units are occupied. Before we moved here and not knowing that Carefree Highway existed, when I heard that song, I thought the words were Every Highway let me slip away....

Although I have been on this weight loss quest for about 2 1/2 years, in some ways it has been like traveling the Carefree Highway or Every Highway. Looking back, the weight has slipped away just like traveling on a long highway. I remember losing it but can't tell you where it has gone. Where did it go, and is it truly gone forever? Will I have to travel that same highway again? Obviously, I am banking (especially if I win the $25 bet that I can lose 10 pounds more quickly than aforementioned brother-in-law) on the belief that I will never have to lose 80 pounds again. In order for that to be a reality I will have to do a lot of out of control eating. And, that is definitely not a possibility. I am so aware of every .2 of a pound gained or lost, that I am confident that this is going to be a way of life, not a constant battle to maintain. But first, it's about those last 10 pounds - well, actually 8!

No comments:

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller