Thursday, August 19, 2010

178.6 Back On The Wii Again

A couple of days ago I got the Wii Fit Plus out from under the coffee table and started it up. The first thing that surprised me was that it announced that it had been... ahem... 45 days since I had been on it. That didn't seem right to me until I remembered that we had been away for about two and a half weeks, and I'd had my eye surgery and so on. The Wii Fit does keep a calendar that comes up whenever you sign in, so I couldn't argue with it.

The second big surprise was that I had lost so much skill in balance and coordination which is measured by most of the activities that I do on it. I'm not sure why I didn't realize that that would occur, but now I have proof that there is truth to the adage "use it or lose it".

I also use a brain skill practice site called Lumosity (lumosity.com). With my family history of dementia, I am determined to do all that I can to stay intellectually healthy. Lumosity provides a balanced workout of brain games designed to improve memory, attention, processing speed, and cognitive flexibility. Much to my dismay, I also went down in all of the areas that I have worked hard over the past four months to improve in.

So now that the vacations are over, the surgery is over and I am getting back into some semblance of a routine, let's hope I can recover all of the skills I seem to have lost recently. And, maybe losing a few more pounds while I am at it is a good idea, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It will all come back. Just give it time and stay consistent. You're learning every day!

queenmabby said...

it will all come back! you can do it!!

p.s. how are the eyes looking? less bruisy?

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller