Tuesday, December 1, 2009

204.0 Little Things Mean A Lot

If you are old enough you will remember a song with that title. I think Dean Martin sang it, or maybe Perry Como. Sorry if I am dating myself, but it is fun to look back, way back for that one!

Sitting on the plane today, after sleeping for about 2 hours, I started thinking about some little things that have changed as I have lost the weight. For example, I don't have that sinking feeling that the seat belt is going to be too small to go around me. I never did have to ask for an extension, but sometimes it was nip and tuck to get it on. Another flight related change is that the arm rest doesn't ride on my thigh anymore, and my hips aren't snuggled up next to some stranger's as we fly through the air. These are little things in a way, but they are really huge in the overall picture.

And there are more little things. I can get up from a chair or sofa without it being a major effort, and I can get out of bed easily, too. For a while, I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to leave a restroom if I couldn't use the handicapped stall. Too low meant all sorts of maneuvers to get up and off the toilet. Now I don't even think about it. Maybe that was too much information, but when it was happening to me, it was a significant problem.

So now I am back home, missing my family very much and I know that my old way of handling my sadness would have been to eat. Instead I am blogging and I know that I'll be seeing my daughters again before too long. The spinach is ready to be cooked, the fish is thawing, and I am definitely back to my routine!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a wonderful Blog, Susan, and very well written. I feel the emotion behind each word. Welcome back! Hugs,

Jennifer

queenmabby said...

I miss you both so much already - it is crazy!!! Can't wait to see you in a few weeks and great job getting back on track! xoxox

priscilla said...

Well done! You've left more behind than a bunch of pounds.

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller