Monday, December 7, 2009

202.4 The 7,000 Calorie Question

202.4 The 7,000 Calorie Question

I am writing this in Tucson, AZ, which is located about 2 hours south of Scottsdale. We are visiting one of the couples who spent the week in Cortona, Italy with us about 9 weeks ago. One of the first things that JoAnne said when we arrived was that I looked like I had lost even more weight. I have lost almost 9 more pounds since that trip to Italy. It is really curious to me how I have fallen into the pattern of losing about one pound a week. That doesn’t sound like much, but to lose that pound means that I have to eat over 3,500 calories less than my body needs to maintain its current weight every week. I was trying to do the math in my head during a sleepless period last night to figure out how many calories I haven’t eaten that has allowed me to lose 45 pounds. So, 45 X 3500 = 157,500! Now that’s impressive!

Do I want to speed up the weight loss? Can I eat over 7,000 calories less than I need in a week so that I can lose 2 pounds a week? I am working on that question, as I have mentioned before. It sounds daunting, but by upping my exercise maybe I could whittle that number down a bit. Hmmm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What makes you think you're eating less calories than your body needs?

Kathleen said...

I think you're doing fine. And it's not that I doubt your ability, but since you're doing so well, perhaps you should stay your course instead of overshooting it. You don't want to starve yourself and then suddenly realize it after a gallon of Ben & Jerry's. I think what you've done so far is amazing.

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller