Monday, December 14, 2009

no scale Back to Home Cookin'

Driving from Las Vegas to Scottsdale is one of the most boring, beautiful, and longest 5 hour rides imaginable. The Hoover Dam and the new highway and bridge that are being constructed there right now are very interesting and are amazing engineering feats! But once we saw that, there was basically nothing to break up the desolation of the area. There is even a place to stop for snacks called Nothing! My daughter Alee and I stopped there once just so we could take her picture in front of the "Nothing" sign! There was nothing there.

This morning was the last challenge, but it actually wasn't as hard as it might have been. We didn't have time to go sit down at one of the restaurants in the hotel so we went to the John Philippe chocolate display where we could get coffee and "a little something" quickly. After studying each of the gorgeous pastries, including bear claws, my favorite, I ordered a vegetable quiche and ate just one-half. I really didn't want a bear claw or any of the other pastries so that was a good change. Before undertaking this weight loss, I probably would have had a big croissant or bear claw and ordered another one to eat in the car, ostensibly for lunch, but it never would have made it that long! We did stop at a Wendy's for lunch, and after a lot of thought, I ordered a baked potato with reduced fat sour cream and chives. It tasted fine and was so much better for me than any of the other choices. And, I just came home from the grocery store with fish and vegies.

Getting back on track after traveling is always accompanied with a welcome sense of relief now. But we sure did have a great time. Now I have to get my act together for Christmas, right?

No comments:

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller