Thursday, October 15, 2009

208.8 I'll Go Out Walking...

I just came in from doing my water therapy.  While doing it, I was talking on the phone to my friend Barbara who I have known since my UCLA days.  She's the one I wrote about a while back who walks five miles everyday on the beach near her home.  Sadly she hasn't been able to walk since late August because she broke her foot.  And, her foot isn't healing well and there was a lot of frustration in her voice. What really has her upset is that she has gained about 4 pounds and can't seem to lose it because she can't walk.  As she so clearly pointed out, exercise has always been so important to her weight, her health, and her life.

I didn't walk today.  I took the day off, but after hearing her bemoan the fact that she can't walk very easily, I am feeling guilty because I can walk!  I know I don't have to walk everyday and it is okay to take a day off now and then, but I am so happy that I can walk.

I went to PVCC to do my ESL class today and one of the guys who works there complimented me on my weight loss, but more importantly, on how much better I walk and move.  It's funny, because I was never aware of how my walk/gait must have appeared to others before my weight loss, that has enabled me to be more agile.  I knew when it hurt to walk, but I didn't know how I looked when I walked.

So, walking is good, very good, and I will be back out there tomorrow morning, walking and feeling very grateful that I can.

No comments:

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller