Friday, October 2, 2009

209.4 The Power of Food

I have been thinking about the power that I have given to food over the course of my life.  I have given it the power to make me happy, to quell my discontent, to comfort my anxiety, and of course, to nourish my body, oh, and by the way, my spirit, too.  It is just food!  Why do I give it so much power?  In my family when I was a teenager, whenever I was unhappy my mom would jokingly ask if Susie needed a cookie!  Of course I did, at least two!

But I have friends who, maybe like you, can't eat if they are unhappy, or upset, or even very happy.  Why is it that they don't give food the power to help them through life's ups and downs?  Is this something we learn or is it just the way we happen to be wired to deal with stresses?

No matter why I am the way I am about food and its power, it has been important for me to change my view of the connection between food and my emotions.  I have needed to figure out how to make the situation better and leave food out of it.  Over the past months I have made big strides in this arena both in terms of awareness and in terms of  taking action instead of taking something to eat.  Susie doesn't need a cookie when she's unhappy anymore!

No comments:

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller