Friday, January 28, 2011

171.0 Gratitude Vs Pride

A while ago our minister gave a sermon on gratitude versus pride. He suggested that when we or someone we know does something special or very well, it is better to think of the accomplishment in terms of gratitude than pride.

I've been thinking about this. As most of you know, my 9 year old grandson saved his friend's life a couple of months ago by observing that his friend was choking, asking him if that was happening and then jumping up and doing the Heimlich maneuver causing the lodged peppermint disc to fly out of his friend's throat and mouth, thus allowing him to breathe normally again. Let me just say, I am so proud of him for his courage and so grateful that he had the confidence to do it. Sometimes, I think there is room to be proud and be filled with gratitude.

I'm often asked if I feel proud of myself for losing the 82 pounds and I am most likely to say that I am grateful for the help and encouragement I received and for the fact I was able to do it. It's not about pride or being proud. In my case it's all about the gratitude.

1 comment:

queenmabby said...

I'm grateful for you and proud of you!

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller