Wednesday, June 30, 2010

182.6 Bored? With Food?

We just got home from having a wonderful dinner at The Arizona Biltmore, a grand hotel in Phoenix. We were with friends with whom we eat out about once a month, trying all sorts of restaurants that we hear about since we are all relatively new to the area.

Elaine and I were talking about favorite foods and I mentioned that I had noticed that she never eats all the food that is served to her. I was curious as to why this was the case. Was it a way to control her weight, did she just feel full a lot sooner than I did (!), or what was it all about? She laughed and said that she gets bored tasting the same food over and over. She gets bored! I had never ever even thought of not eating something on my plate because I was tired of the flavor. We are talking filet mignon, elegant fish dishes, and superb salads. Bored?

Yes, she is slender and loves food, just not very much of it at one time. I am thinking on this because it is a very novel idea for me to digest . (Sorry about that.) So I am wondering if I can incorporate this way of thinking as I head into maintenance. Bored, hmmm.

2 comments:

priscilla said...

That's a great tool for conscious eating! Sometimes it does occur to me that the fifth bite doesn't taste as good as the first and second. "Bored": great descriptor! Then the trick is to stop eating instead of obeying the voice that says "clean your plate" or "I may never get to eat again"!

lynseym said...

I always leave something for those same reasons! It makes my brother INSANE from years of having to scrape my plate in the trash. I still do this--even just the last bit of crust or one last bite of veggie or something....bored it about it!

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller