Tuesday, June 15, 2010

185.2 Mindful vs Mindless Eating

I mentioned that I was looking forward to reading the book called Mindless Eating. (http://susanlosingaweightlossadventure.blogspot.com/2010/06/1854-new-look-at-books.html). It arrived a few days ago and I find it hard to put down. It's filled with lots of research and probably more facts than I thought might be included but it's extremely well written and funny.

What I've come away with from reading this book is how much of what we eat is totally mindless. Also, I've learned that we are influenced by so many food cues that we aren't aware of that have tremendous potential to encourage mindless eating, such as the size of our bowls and plates, the size and shape of our drinking glasses, and even the size of the package, can, or bottle that our food comes in.

What makes this book entertaining is the very clever research that was done on how/what/why we eat what we eat. Although you might not think this sounds like good summer reading, it just might fill the bill for you. I'm really enjoying it and find myself becoming very mindful of lots of aspects of mindless eating.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

And now it's on my reading list!

Mary at Mindless said...

My team works with Dr. Brian Wansink, author of Mindless Eating: Why We Eat More Than We Think. Besides the fact that Brian is a truly nice and funny man, he developed a line of "Thinware" which are dish sets created to Dr. Wansink's specific instruction for measurement and design to encourage less and better eating. There are a lot of cool gadgets and cues on the site as well that are fun and MINDLESS!

https://www.mindlessproducts.com/mindless-products/thinware

Watch the man himself in some short videos and see the products that we promote. It will be worth the time!

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller