Monday, February 7, 2011

171.5 Looking Fat

I think this is what is called adaptation. As I was in the process of losing all of this weight, my brain had to adapt as the pounds went off. I was getting smaller, thinner (but never thin!) and I could see that over time once I bought my full length mirror. And as I was reaching my goal of losing 80 pounds, I could definitely see that I had lost weight, obviously, and that I looked quite slender.

Well, now I look in the mirror I'm no longer surprising slender. I've gotten used to how I look and now I see a fatter person. I see fat thighs when I used to see thinner thighs. I see a fat torso where I used to see a thinner torso. No, my bosom doesn't look fatter, but that's a whole other topic :).

So maybe it's time to think about losing a little more weight. I never thought I'd want to do that, but now I'm wondering about it. Several people have advised me (unsolicited advice, by the way) to not lose any more weight. And until recently, I totally agreed. But now I'm wondering if I quit too soon. According to all of the weight/height/age tables I should weigh about 20 pounds less than I do, so it's not as if my expectations are off the wall. But I'm really healthy now, my back is happier, and so the question is do I need to reach some weight because a chart suggests it? And, when I look in the mirror I see areas for improvement :)? I'm thinking about it.

2 comments:

queenmabby said...

Maybe more weight is needed to come off, but i suspect it's more of a mind game than anything. You had constant positive reinforcement for over a year and a half when you saw the pounds coming off. Now that your stabilized, I would guess that maybe low self esteem/negative thinking is finding a window to creep through... you leave any opening at all and those negative forces find a way to come through.

Kathleen said...

Everyone feels this way, to some extent I think. It's why you get skinny people going on diets. Many of us are trained to see flaws in our appearance. Think about what you want to do. In the long run, it's up to you. As long as your doctor says it's not harmful, there is no reason not to try.

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller