Saturday, May 22, 2010

189.2 Confidence and Questions

Well now, there you go! I ate an apple, let some anger go, and lost a pound! Wouldn't it be great if that was all there was to losing weight? But from what I've learned, every little change that I make often helps. And, you know, a lot of it has to do with confidence ~ confidence that I really do want to lose this last 20 pounds, and confidence that I can do it.

The clinical hypnotherapist in Jennifer has wondered if I really want to reach my goal. In other words, how did being heavier in the past serve me, so that being free of it might be worrisome for me. What might I be afraid of? Is it sort of like being naked, without clothes to cover real or imagined flaws? She's made me think, as she always does, about what in the world is going on in my world. Maybe these are good questions to ask yourself. Nope, I don't have any answers for you, but thinking about things is always a good place to start. Happy Saturday.

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

Or maybe it's like a fear of success. So much time and effort of your life is now spent on reaching your goal. When you DO reach your goal, where will you focus your energies next? Just tossing around ideas!

lynseym said...

There's also finding that your goal has already been met and to see the success in staying where your body is rather than struggling to attain a magic number. In 2003 I lost about 60 pounds and hated what I looked like because I wasn't to the goal of 75 pounds. So what happened? I hurt myself physically by trying to lose more, was disappointed in myself for not reaching a goal my body couldn't do, and gained it all back. A smart friend of mine set her goal 20 pounds more than me, does lots of pilates and strength training and has maintained her higher goal tht her body naturally came to. Anyway, this is to say maybe ask your doctor about it because maybe for Sue at this point in her life is already at that goal. They will best know if pushing yourself to lose more will hurt your body (muscle tone etc) than help. We are so proud of the beautiful you you've already become. It's just a number and honestly healthy and happy isn't guaranteed at a lower number just becase you reach it.

queenmabby said...

i also had a similar thought to Lynsey's - who set your goal weight? do you think the fact you've stayed in the 180's for so long means that maybe that is where your body wants to stay for awhile? Where your body is comfortable? I support you and want you to reach all your goals but agree that maybe rethinking what is healthy for your body right now might be a good idea. just a thought. I know both miranda and i have had experiences like Lynsey - sometimes your body just tells you where it wants to be!

i love you and am SO proud of you!!!

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller