Saturday, May 1, 2010

188.0 Taking Care Very Carefully!

Yes, I know it popped it again, my weight that is. And yes, I can explain it with tales of entertaining and going out. But that's life, after all, and I'm trying to learn to live with the stresses and joys of life along with the challenges of dealing with food.

Here's some good news: my body mass index is now at the lowest it's been in years, a measure of 28 as of a couple of days ago. I remember it being 35 at one time, high enough to make me eligible for gastric by-pass surgery. I was considering that as an option when I decided to use hypnosis and awareness to help me gain better control over my out of control eating, and to become aware of why I was eating too much, etc., instead. Recently I learned that a large percentage of folks who have the gastric by-pass surgery regain the weight they lose after the surgery, and I can imagine being one of those people with my history of regaining lost weight. I totally believe that understanding why you have gained weight and why you are too heavy are as important to success as cutting back on how much you eat.

So,I have to continue to take this seriously and slowly and not think I'm failing somehow because I still bobble up and down. I've kept daily records of my weight loss for the last year plus, and I'm winning in spite of the bobbling.

I just came home from a Kentucky Derby Party and shocked and amazed people who hadn't seen me for a while. I was asked several times how I lost the weight. In a social setting like today's, I usually smile and answer "Very carefully!" Taking care of my body has been the primary motivation for me.

No comments:

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller