Friday, May 7, 2010

188.2 The Power of Reflection

I finally bought a full length mirror. It is still leaning against the wall where it will be hung, but that is a huge step for me. Jennifer had suggested I buy one several times over the past many months and I would agree that I needed to, and then not do it. Why? Well, for one thing, I couldn't figure out where to hang it. And, then I had the excuse that we were re-doing the master bath and I needed to wait until that was done. And, I believed that I could see enough of me in the mirror behind the sinks in our bathroom. I could see from about my waist up with no problem and that obviously was all I wanted to see. But no, she wanted me to see all of me, clothed and not clothed. I needed to "own" this miraculous body of mine with all it's flaws and all of it's beauty, and then coming face to face with it, figure out what I wanted it to look like and how I was going to get there.

I think that when we are in our bodies, we probably either idealize them, or make them worse than they are. In my case, I know that I thought I looked okay. After all, I thought I looked okay from my waist up.

Recently I was getting my hair cut and found myself sitting in the chair staring at all of me as reflected in a full length mirror. Ouch! The view of me sitting there was not at all what I thought I looked like. And, that's how most people see me, sitting across from them having a conversation, a drink (of water, in my case), and enjoying being with each other. So, I am more motivated than ever to keep going to reach of my goal of 170. Reflecting on where we are in life or in a quest for weight loss is a good thing. I think I will be a lot more satisfied looking back at myself once I get the next 20 pounds off.

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

I have this problem when I get my hair cut, too. But I tend to stare at the color of my skin, the shape of my jaw, and other things I simply have no idea how to fix. I have solved this problem by growing out my hair.

That said, I do think it's important that people take a good fresh look at themselves every so often.

priscilla said...

Try making a sketch of yourself. It's amazing what it tells you about your mind's eye's body image.(mind's eye's? )

Anonymous said...

Very courageous to share your secret with your followers...and now that you CONNECT WITH THE REALITY OF YOU AND YOUR BODY...you'll feel it more every day...you'll feel "full" "light" "flexible" "stiff" "fluid" "tight" etc. etc. YOU'RE COMING HOME!! Hugs,

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller