Tuesday, March 1, 2011

174.2 Keep The Weight Off

Like so many folks my age who have some form of arthritis, I subscribe to Arthritis Today, and monthly magazine published by The Arthritis Foundation. In the most recent issue there was a very brief article entitled "Keep The Weight Off".

Since this is my present and future challenge, I immediately turned to it. I must be a pretty visual person since I can hear things and not have what I hear have the same impact as when I read something. (When I taught elementary school in the olden days :), I would spend time on understanding how each of my students learned, either visually, auditorily or a combination of the two, and then try to teach to their particular modality.) Anyway, when I saw these tips for weight maintenance in print, it helped reinforce what I had floating around in my brain on some level.

Here's the gist of the article: cut way back on those carbs that cause your blood sugar to spike (high Glycemic-Index foods which means they contain a lot of sugar), and choose lean protein to help you feel full. By doing this, you'll curb your appetite and have a better shot at success. The article suggests that you eat "high protein foods [such as] skim milk, artificially sweetened low-fat yogurt, lean fish and poultry" and "low-GI foods [including] broccoli, cauliflower, celery, lentils, apples, grapefruit, peanuts, brown rice, and garbanzo beans".

I just checked out online whether an artichoke is considered a low-GI food. Last night we shared a huge one and it tasted so good. Since they take a long time to eat, they are super for slowing me down when I eat. And, I learned that they are right up there with cauliflower, broccoli, etc., so I'm off to Costco to buy a big bag of them. So good!

No comments:

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller