Wednesday, March 23, 2011

174.2 Challenges! What Would We Do Without Challenges!

Yes, my weight is pretty stuck, but I'll focus on seriously losing those 5 pounds after the spelling bee, my new challenge. You'd think I'd be satisfied with learning to play bridge and Mah Jongg!

I'm on a spelling bee team with two other gals and since it is only one week away, it's time to get serious! I've just spent a couple of hours on a great site (http://www.visualthesaurus.com/bee/play) that has turned out to be quite challenging. One of the things I've noticed is that some words are pronounced differently than I have heard them spoken. That's a problem. And, I have never heard or read some of the words in my life. For example, kinnikinick (a bark, dried plant, and tobacco mixture smoked by the Indians and early pioneers), and necessitous (needing help immediately), and concinnity (in an harmonic arrangement), are three the of words that were new to me. When I see them now and know what they mean they don't seem so strange, but when I heard them initially, I was thrown for a loop. What I have realized after today's foray into the depths of what this means for me to be of any value to my team is that I need to learn about common endings that all sound the same and change depending on the origin of the word. Oh Sue, so much to learn , so little time!

No comments:

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller