Monday, March 7, 2011

173.2 Caring and Self-compassion

I subscribe to Jean Fain's blog on line. (www.jeanfain.com) She is a therapist who uses and teaches hypnosis in Cambridge, MA, among other professional activities. One of her main interests is weight loss. Yesterday her "An Encouraging Word" post included some thoughts on self-compassion. Here is some of what she wrote:

"The practice of self-compassion -- treating yourself like a good friend or loved one -- may be centuries-old news, but suddenly it's new again. Not only did Tara Parker-Pope's blog on the subject make headline news last week, it was the number-one most e-mailed New York Times article of the day." She goes on to say that "self-compassion is the missing ingredient in every diet and most other weight-loss plans."

She quotes Kristin Neff, author of Self-Compassion who writes, “Self-compassion is really conducive to motivation. With self-compassion, if you care about yourself, you do what’s healthy for you rather than what’s harmful to you.”

As I work at keeping these lost pounds from returning, I realize that I need to keep these thoughts in mind, on my mind, in my face so that I remember that it is caring about myself and for myself that this is all about.

No comments:

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller