Monday, October 18, 2010

173.0 Bones, My Bones!

This morning I woke up so aware of my bones. I don’t imagine that most people wake up with bones on their mind, but I definitely am not like most people :). What I was really thinking about is that those bones that are now so prominent have been with me all of my life, whether covered with inches of fat or much more visible.

How did they feel covered with that heavy blanket of fat? If they could talk, what would they say about the years of extra strain, weight pressing down on them as they were asked to do a more and more difficult job to support me and help move me through my life?

When I was much heavier, I used to lie in bed and try to find them. I’d make excuses for why they weren’t so prominent. Changing posture due to age was high on my list of reasons. But wait, I was lying down so that excuse just doesn’t ring true. But it sounded good to me at the time when I was weighing in close to the 250 mark.

Why do I like being back in touch with my bones? They are such an important part of me and have served me so well over the years. Except for an errant finger or toe, I’ve only broken one bone in my body throughout my oh so close to 68 years, my 5th metatarsal on the outside edge of my right foot.

My bones also give me my inner shape, and I do like my inner shape. I love my long legs, my long spine, and my long arms. It’s not vanity that dictates this love. It’s familiarity. (And, it's not a breeze buying clothes to fit the dictates of these bones. Often the sleeves are too short, the length is way too short, and the waist line comes up too high!)

And, I love the symmetry of my bones and the awesome number of my bones that are all exactly where they should be, as they should be. Feeling my hip bones again is a homecoming of sorts. And counting my ribs with certainty makes me smile. Maybe I’m just easy to please, but being in touch with my body, my bones once again, is just plain fun! And, I like to think that they are smiling, too.

No comments:

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller