Thursday, September 16, 2010

177.2 Doctor, Professor, Teacher?

This morning I put on my teaching hat and returned to Paradise Valley Community College to teach English as a Second Language after taking the summer off. I do this once a week for two hours and really love it. I am a teacher. No, I don't have my doctorate, and I am not a professor. I'm a teacher. Those of you who know me know that I also teach jewelry design and beading here in my neighborhood, you know that I just like to teach.

This morning I had 14 adults in my class, whose language skills varied as much as their homelands. I had students from Iraq, Burma, The Czech Republic, Thailand, Brazil, Columbia, Mexico, and Peru! Because I reside in Arizona, most folks think that I must be working with a majority of people from Mexico. Not so! This year I have only 1 student from Mexico, but I have 3 from Iraq. Oh, and I have 1 from Vietnam.

The student from Vietnam was very concerned about what to call me. Should she call me Doctor, Professor, or Teacher? I suggested that she call me Susan. This really threw her and she asked the question again and explained to me that out of respect she wanted to call me Doctor, Professor, or Teacher. Having this wonderful Inner Spirit working within me is so pleasing and often surprising! In response to her concern, I heard myself say that I could see respect in her eyes and feel it in my heart. Susan would be just fine.

5 comments:

Kathleen said...

You are not just teaching language, but a culture. What a wonderful response!

Kathleen said...

You are not just teaching language, but a culture. What a wonderful response!

Anonymous said...

Love it!

priscilla said...

Wonderful anecdote Sue. I call you Sister and that says it all!!

philso said...

all right, TEACH!I shall call you TEACH!
and I will be known as...LEARN!

pad

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller