Thursday, September 23, 2010

176.6 Gonna, Wanna, and Power!

Today was ESL day for me! You would love this group of people. What is so endearing to see is how they help each other without prompting from me. I complimented them on that this morning and they turned it into a compliment for me. How lucky I am to have them in my life.

Last week I asked them to write down what they wanted to learn from this class. I got quite an array of things including wanting to learn to use the computer and to get a job! One goal was to learn what wanna and gonna mean. So this morning that's what we tackled first. (Um, learning to use the computer and getting a job are going to have to be accomplished outside of this class!) The precise students in the group wanted to know which was better English. As I was explaining that going to and want to are the better forms, I heard myself self saying, "If you're gonna write a letter, you'd use going to and want to. But if you wanna just talk easily to someone, you'd probably just use wanna and gonna". I never realized how often I use gonna and wanna in my speech! How about this...I'm gonna reach my weight goal because I wanna be healthy!

Now I do work hard while I teach this class and I was thinking that I was having yet another hot flash because I was so warm. But then we got word that there was a power outage and the college was closing. (The classroom where we meet has a wall of windows so I wasn't aware that there was no light.) So I gottago home early! :)

No comments:

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller