Friday, September 17, 2010

177.2 Can't Hurt, Might Help!

A good friend and I were talking recently and after complimenting me on my weight loss, she said that she wished her daughter would be inspired to lose weight. As I told my friend, if I could bottle this kind of inspiration I know I could sell it and be a very wealthy woman. Or, maybe I would just give it away. Now there’s a thought. I like that even better. But anyway, I wish I could write or say something that would inspire/enable others to lose weight.

Sometimes I feel like a broken record about Geneen Roth’s book Women Food and God. The author talks about why we use food, and then how being fat shapes our view of ourselves, and how, even when we lose it, it often finds us and settles right back in exactly the same places we lost it from.

What’s really struck me is that as I've talked to several folks about this book, they appear to be very interested in it until I mention the title and they hear the word GOD. I can see it in their faces, the big turn off.

I wonder if Geneen Roth thought long and hard about putting the word God in the title of her book? Even if you don’t believe God exists, this is a very helpful, entertaining book. It takes a close look at why, what, and how we eat. It’s a great read and full of fascinating connections and insights and practices. If that word, that little 3 letter word, has stopped you, I encourage you to take a look at this book. You may not change your mind about God or what that means, but you might find some very interesting thoughts about why the bodies we inhabit become too fat! And, there are some very helpful ideas of ways to deal with the old entrenched behaviors that perpetuate the weight problems.

So I’m going to recommend this book to my friend to think about suggesting to her daughter. As I often say, it can’t hurt and it might help!

No comments:

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller