Friday, January 29, 2010

195.4 Okay, So How Did You Do It?


I just returned home from walking with my friend Linda. Out of the blue on one of our recent walks she said, "Okay, so how did you do it? I am ready to lose some weight." I answered by outlining a few of the basics....eating half, being committed to eating food that is healthy, turning to her inner spirit for guidance, exercising, and the piece that is fundamental and at times maddening, the role that being disciplined plays in the program. And, I also talked about the big part hypnosis has played in changing my behavior. So this morning she announced with joy that she has lost 2 pounds this week! When I asked her how she did it :), she said,"Carrots carrots carrots!" Then she laughed and went on to say that she has been eating just half her normal portion size, how she has been thoughtful about what she ate at home or ordered out, and how she has become aware of when and why she eats. And I am thinking, "Linda, you have sure got the discipline piece working for you"!

About that time, I looked up and there was this gal and her dog that I often see when I walk. The dog has been trained, disciplined if you will, to stop and sit whenever it is approached by humans. The dog stays that way until the human has passed. The part discipline plays to make life easier is very important to all of us. Linda gets it now, and I am glad to say I do to. Anything we can do to help us move away from destructive behaviors into new and healthy ones relies in part on discipline. If this dog can get it, I think there is hope for all of us.

No comments:

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller