Tuesday, September 1, 2009

214.2 Getting Back on Track

If you've been paying attention to my weight over the past few days, you will see that it has gone up. Yes, I'm aware of it and definitely not happy about it, but I am trying to stay calm, cool, and collected about it. I haven't been bingeing (or binging), and haven't thrown in the towel. What I have done is quit exercising!

Well, I didn't quit everything, but almost. I've continued to do some of my water therapy exercises in our little pool. I know, it's a rough life to have to go out and do water therapy in 90+ degree water listening to beautiful music, but someone has to do it. What I did stop doing were my morning walks. I was walking at least a half hour every morning. I usually listened to Willy Nelson singing "On the Road Again", etc., and I typically felt great doing it. I would find myself singing out loud along with the music and sometimes would seriously think I was ready to go on tour.

After listening to my inner spirit as well as my chiropractor, I decided it was time to start walking again this morning. I only walked about 10 minutes (on purpose) so as not to get my back upset again. I came home, put ice on my back for about 20 minutes, told my back how happy I was that it was feeling better, and my back has been fine all morning. I plan to go out for another 10-15 minute walk later today and then will take it to the limit tomorrow!

Yes, I am frustrated and mad and wish that my back were less of a problem than it is. But, don't we all have situations that arise that get in the way of doing a weight loss program or attaining any life goal perfectly? Letting these bumps in the road overwhelm us can be a typical response, and can lead to abandoning our goals. I know, because I have done that. Taking care of ourselves and getting back on track is the best way to overcome these unwelcome interruptions. That's what I am all about right now.


3 comments:

Kathleen said...

Yes! You go! Sometimes when I can't run I give up and find myself eating peanut butter from the jar with a spoon. But you're right. I just get down. I should stick with it as much as I can and then get back on track ASAP.

priscilla said...

First of all, AMEN to your thinking. We can't be too perfectionistic. Second, your creeping up may have something to do with your fasting day when you went to the dentist. My scale loves it when I don't eat at all
but guess what: the minute I start eating again, it shows up in the numbers. Stay with your positive attitude.

barbi b said...

barbi said...
I finally caught up with all the entries. So I feel that I deserve to make some comments. About the yo-yo syndrome: it drives me nuts and has the unfortunate result (when I go up) of an urge to say "well, forget it! Here I am, trying and it's not working!" Then I reassure myself with the comment made by my physical therapist: you will gain weight for awhile because muscle weighs more than fat! However that can easily turn into an EXCUSE! So, I keep going to PT 3 times a week and watch the yo-yo going up and down! Frustrating. I keep hoping that it will keep going down eventually.

Eating half: Al and I have been doing that for some time. Mainly because we get full! However, it is easy to tell yourself "I can have that because I'm only going to eat half." ANOTHER EXCUSE for eating the fattening things.

PT does make me feel wonderful and I work really hard. I guess the weight loss result will be a long time coming. In the meantime, I poke along and try to get involved in other things (as you pointed out, Sue).

I do not get on the scale every day as it that makes me depressed and angry and frustrated if I haven't lost.

Cane with seat: where can I get one? I'm trying to find a way to lose the walker and just use a cane. However, my back aches sooner with the cane so ..... I don't know what to do about that.

I could go on and on.

More next time.

CONGRATULATIONS on your successes, Sue. I am scrambling along way behind you but I WILL catch up eventually (I hope).

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller