Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Regret and Resentment vs Contentment

A short note from Cortona, Italy.  I'm not coming home!  This is simply too much fun!

Yesterday we went to San Gimignano, an absolutely charming town that is the perfect spot for any Italian movie location, and, we ended up at the winner of Italy's gelato contest for 2008!  Yep, I had some, nutty hazelnut with whole hazelnuts and it was fabulous.  Because of the work I have done to incorporate Jennifer's weight loss program into my life,  I didn't want more than half the small cup I ordered.  Guess who really loved the fact I only ate 1/2 of cup?  Why husband Jeff, of course!

As some of you picked up on, I was concerned about how I was going to handle food while here on vacation.  I have been able to enjoy wonderful food and I have been very relaxed about it, but aware of all I eat.  The biggest problem is not knowing exactly what I would be served once I placed my order.  A funny thing happened yesterday before the gelato.  I ordered the vegetable plate because it really appealed to me.  When it was served, however, there was a huge ball of mozzarella  and slices of asiago cheese along side the grilled vegies.  I hadn't expected all the cheese, so I made the decision to eat a little of the cheese with the vegies and was content.  I think that the contentment that has become a companion of mine at meal time is one of the best gifts that has come about as a result of this weight loss process.  I used to be torn between eating it all and then beating myself up about it and being filled with regret, or denying myself any and then feeling resentful!  By eating small amounts of delicious foods, I am not depriving myself but am maintaining control so that I can reach my goal and be healthy.

And, even if I learn that I have gained a little weight while here (not having a scale), I am confident that I will lose it quickly and will then continue on toward my goal.

And, you should see me climb these hills.  Who knew I could walk for ten minutes straight up and live to tell about it?

Ciao!

1 comment:

laudita said...

Alee and I went to San Gimignano about 12 years ago junior year of college. CRAZY!! isn't it just the most beautiful place? I have a pic in my living room from there. So glad you are having a great time and are able to enjoy all Italy has to offer :)

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller