Friday, September 11, 2009

211.6 You Own the Power

I was asked by Jennifer to write a short bio for her to post on her website.  First of all, short bio is an oxymoron to me.  If she wants me to write about myself, it is going to be a long bio.  I am way too interesting to make it short! :)

As I was working on my first draft, I started writing about how I have dealt with weight issues during my life.  What I realized is that until recently I didn't feel that I had the power to change what was going on.  Oh, I could lose weight with the best of them, but once that challenge was over, I slipped right back into my old habits.  And, by doing that, put the weight right back on.  I became a believer... that I was destined to be overweight.

Since starting this program in earnest, I have come to realize that I do have the power and no one else does.  The sweet lady at Diet Center, the oh, so sincere guy at HMR (Health Management Resources),  the bored lady at Diet Center (I did that chicken in the foil diet at least twice), and the entertaining gal at Weight Watchers,  none of these folks had the power to help me achieve my goal and then keep the weight off.

By acknowledging that I hold the power and by believing that I can do this, I have been succeeding.  It is all about me now, not these purveyors of hope who I was hoping to please as they weighed me in each week.  I wish I had realized this long time ago.  Having someone to encourage you along the way is a very good thing.  But you are the one with the power.

No comments:

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller