Sunday, September 13, 2009

211.4 Emotional Eating

I just went through such an emotional eating moment, I decided to blog about it.  I was finishing up my lunch, not big, but very tasty and satisfying.  I had finished my glass of iced green tea and my dessert of half an Asian pear when I was overwhelmed by the feeling I wanted to keep eating...more and more!  I felt very full, but still wanted more.

Before giving in to the urge to stuff more food into my mouth, I took a deep breath and asked myself what this was all about.  The answer was so clear and obvious. We are having folks over for dinner and I don't know them very well, so I want to stuff down my feelings of shyness and uncertainty.  I have met them once before and they are delightful people.  And, they are really looking forward to the Indiana Green Bean Dinner that Jeff is preparing.  Bob and his wife are from the midwest as is Jeff and they were very pleased to be invited.

Once I realized what I was fearing and knew that I didn't need to worry about it, guess what?  I had no desire to keep eating, and I forgot all about wanting more food.  It is all part of the process, being present, thinking before eating, and learning about myself.

I am going to have a great time tonight, and I'm hoping our friends will, too.

No comments:

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller