Sunday, September 6, 2009

213.2 Eating Out, Eating One-Half

It is truly becoming automatic - eating just one-half. We went out to breakfast this morning. We used to do that at least once a week, but because we want to eat food that is better for us, and save our money for more exciting things, we haven't been eating out much at all.

This morning I ordered my favorite menu item at Oaks, a funky restaurant in Cave Creek, a town near us. My favorite is called the country scrambler. It's scrambled eggs with sausage cooked in it. It also comes with fried potatoes and pancakes. Now, fried potatoes in the morning have never been high on my list of things I can't give up. Maybe latkes with applesauce would be hard to pass up, but these don't come close to latkes. Pancakes, on the other hand, do make a lot of sense to me in the morning, especially on weekend mornings. The waitress brought me two pecan pancakes.

What I noticed this morning and am noticing more and more is that I didn't want more than half of the egg/sausage mixture and I didn't want more than one pancake, and I didn't want any of the potatoes. This is a huge change for me, because I used to think I was just going to eat half and then I would find myself cleaning my plate.

What happened? Why is it so much more automatic now? Two things...practice, practice, practice, and hypnosis. I have been working with Jennifer Scott, a Licensed Clinical Hypnotherapist, throughout my weight loss journey. I will be writing more about my work with her, but for now I just want to say that I know that the hypnosis has helped me a lot in this process.

And, I want thank one of my friends who responded to my plea for help in regard to NHS, my night hunger syndrome. She suggested chewing a piece of sugarless gum when the hunger pains strike. I tried it last night. It worked instantly and I never woke up hungry during the night. As I wrote her this morning, the challenge will be to remember to remove the gum before I fall asleep :).

Sweet dreams tonight for all.

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

Aha! Sugarless gum! I used to get hungry late at night when I was pregnant, and would find myself eating cereal at 2am. These days it's not that bad.
Eating half is good! I should do more of that.

priscilla said...

Chewing gum! Brilliant! I'm going out to buy some Trident today.

lynseym said...

Sue if you like pancakes, I can share my quinoa/yogurt/banana pancake recipe with you. Your grandsons stay filled with them rather than hungry in a few hours. They freeze well too if you make up a batch. I personally like having them with a thin spread of peanut butter rather than syrup. They don't have sugar and have flax and even three year olds can't tell!

Ted and I split things on a regular basis. Having to eat out all the time while out of town on trial has it's drains. We get really over it and feel so exhausted from the long hours working so your natural reaction is to overeat. Making the promise to split makes this easier.

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller