Sunday, September 20, 2009

Finally, the computer is up and running, and we are settled in our villa in Cortona.  I could just blog about all that has happened, how wonderful it is here, and what a special time we are having, but I think I will write about the glorious food and challenges that I have met along the way.

Through this program of mindful, conscious eating, I have come to realize how significant emotional eating has been for me.  I did fine during our 24 hour stay in Boston, but once we were offered food on our Alitalia flight craziness struck.  I must add that we did fly business class, decided upon in consultation with my chiropractor for the health and safety of my back.  Now you know why I love my chiropractor.  It was all about the fact that the seats reclined almost to 180 degrees and my back really appreciated it.  My eyes and stomach really appreciated the food we were served for dinner and breakfast.  Each meal consisted of three courses that were beautifully presented and delicious.  But this is where I started to lose control and I think it was because I was nervous about flying across the ocean and unsure about a lot of the aspects of the impending trip.  I was still fighting for control at the hotel in Rome, especially when faced with a buffet of choices.

Once we got in our rental car and were truly on our own, I began to feel much more comfortable with food.  After leaving Rome, we stopped in the very picturesque hill town of Montepulciano and had lunch in the old city.  Believe it or not, I had vegetable soup and shared bruschetta with Jeff and I was totally satisfied and happy with my choices.  That night, in Cortona, I had a delicious salad of fennel, orange slices, and pistachios with a little oil and vinegar, followed by roast chicken.  So far so good....  And then yesterday I was faced with another sumptious buffet for breakfast, but put blinders on and had yogurt, fruit and a little granola and coffee.  Since then, the 1/2 portion rule has become automatic again and I am feeling much more in control of food and eating delicious things.  For lunch today, I had about 1/4 of a small pizza with the best cheese and mushrooms on it!  I didn't eat the crust and felt very pleased with how things went.  I also bought apples to have if I get really hungry.  It is really interesting dealing with food in this country known for its fabulous food.  In the pastry shop I was in this morning getting coffee, there were the most beautiful looking pastries, but I was able to see them as pieces of art work,  and as a result, was able to stick with my plan to just have coffee.  I also have my own rule that if I can get it in the U.S., I don't eat it here, e.g., nutella.  It is everywhere here and I love it, but I never eat it at home so why should I eat it here?

We shall see how all this goes.  I don't have a scale here so my pants are my indicators of how I am doing.  I was able to zip up my new Chico's pants this morning, so I think I am doing just fine.  Now, if it would just stop raining...

3 comments:

queenmabby said...

sounds like you are having such a good time!!! take lots and lots of pics!

Kathleen said...

I have never flown business class, but I find that I eat anything on planes. Especially on long, tedious, boring flights. Besides having nothing else to do to distract me, being tired and worn out leaves me with no resistance.

Unknown said...

It sounds like you bounced back so easily! I know it took great thought and mindfulness, but you make it sound like a breeze. You are truly living the Italian lifestyle!

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller