Wednesday, September 9, 2009

211.6 Letter to Judy

I have a very special friend, Judy, who I have known for about 25 years.  She wrote asking for "the basics" of this process.  Since she asked, I thought that perhaps more of you might have questions about it, and would like to read what I wrote to her in response.


Here is what I wrote:


First, let me tell you that I have been working with Jennifer Scott, Licensed Clinical Hypnotherapist, who has developed this weight loss process, and I am very much indebted to her.  She is working on a website ( and eventually, a book) that will include videos of three of her clients, including yours truly, who are involved in this process.


For starters, this is not a diet.  As you know, diets don't work.  You lose the weight and it comes back on.  This process is a way to integrate food into your life without it taking control.  So, you will never eat differently than you are during this process.  Once you lose all the weight you want to lose, you may eat a little more so that you will stay at the same weight rather than continue to lose, but you will never go back to the old patterns.  This is a lifetime process.


This is a slow and steady weight loss process.  Losing weight fast doesn't give your mind a chance to keep up with your body, and one reason you gain the weight back is that these old habits are so familiar.  By losing weight slowly, your mind and body stay in sync as you change.


Eating one half of a normal serving of food is a good place to start.  But, it does depend on what you are eating.  For example, eating half a piece of chocolate cake is better than eating a whole piece, but eating just a few small bites is best.  Eating more than half a serving of salad is a great idea unless it contains cheese, and other fattening ingredients like bacon and/or a heavy dressing.  My sister Priscilla taught me the technique of dipping my fork into the dressing and then spearing the lettuce, etc.  You get the taste of the dressing in each bite and you will be surprised at how little dressing you will eat.  And, just because you are eating only half of a serving doesn't mean you eat without considering whether what you are eating will help you succeed on your weight loss/health journey.  Use care in choosing everything you eat.


If you know it is not good for you, don't eat it.  And, don't eat it because you want to be healthy. By putting your health and weight loss at the top of your list of reasons for changing your behavior, you will not want to eat junk food, or food that is high in sugar or fat.  It is interesting that once you start eating like this, you will lose your taste for most of the things that you may eat regularly now that aren't healthy.


This is not about counting calories because you are going to know without doing that  that you are eating carefully.  Pay attention to your stomach and brain.  As soon as you begin to feel comfortable but not full, it is time to stop.  It's a good idea to push your plate away so you won't nibble on what you have not eaten.  Eventually you will learn to serve just enough.  And, never take seconds.


Another thing I have done is to cut way back on carbs at night, except fruit.  By this I mean that I don't eat potatoes, rice, or bread at night.  If you really want to eat those things, eat them for breakfast or lunch.  I haven't done this yet, but I have a friend who has changed her eating habits so that lunch is her biggest meal of the day.  I am thinking about this. :)


I have talked a lot in my blogs about weighing everyday so you know how you are doing, and about keeping a daily food log.  And, I have suggested that you keep a journal so you can talk to yourself about how you are doing, the challenges you are facing and how you are handling them. And don't forget to go back and read what you have written occasionally.  It will help reinforce the fact you are making healthy changes.  And, don't forget to go inside and let your inner spirit, your God self, or whatever you call it, help you.  There is also your subconscious mind that you can engage to help you work toward your goal.


So, keep up the walking.  That has helped me a lot over the past 5 months.  Good luck and keep in touch.  I hope this information helps you.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Good Advice! All of it.

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller