Monday, August 31, 2009

213.2 Being Involved

This morning I went back to the chiropractor again. I have been going a lot lately, ever since my trip to Memphis. My back has been paying me back for standing too much, too long, and other things I can't identify, but things that my back did not like very much. My back not only has to support me and all that I do, it also has a lot of pessure on it because I am taking it to Italy with me in about two weeks. I want to take a healthy back with me.

A couple of days ago I wrote about getting help to move forward. I thought I was getting help because I was going through the motions of massage therapy and chiropractic adjustments. I was expecting that presenting myself for care would mean the magic cure. There's that word magic again. It was pointed out to me by my husband that I wasn't investing the time with my chiropractor to try to learn all I could about how to care for my back. I needed more specific information and to get that I had to ask very specific questions. So this morning I went armed with information about exactly what was going on with my back, along with questions to which I needed clear answers. He changed his treatment because of the information I gave him and I have changed my home routine because of the answers he gave me. So, I am filled with hope that within a few days, my back will be ready to go to Italy. Cures are never a matter of magic. They are the consequence of involvement with the process, especially on the part of the patient.

1 comment:

queenmabby said...

This is so true - we all expect things to just "happen" because we go through the motions. do what people tell us to do. that's great that your questions helped to develop a whole new treatment plan!

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller