Monday, August 17, 2009

217.4... When Less is More and More is Less

Can I quit now? My husband calls this territory I am in “a plateau”. I call it hell. It seems to me that I have been doing what I need to do to lose weight, but this blogger is not losing! Being on a plateau is not new for me. I have plateaued on and off all of my life while dieting. I have never been on a plateau that I really like. In the past, finding myself on a plateau was a good reason to quit trying to lose weight. Not this time, though. It is making me more determined.

When is less more? It’s when I eat less, pure and simple. By doing that, I will weigh less. I’ll still eat what I want to, as long as it is healthy, appealing to me, and my portion size is about half of what I used to eat.

Everything else is about more being less, as in helping me to weigh less. Exercising more is the first thing I need to do. I have never loved exercise. My new son-in-law loves to exercise. I didn’t get that gene. I think I had to choose between the exercise gene and the one for cankles, but that was a long time ago and I can’t remember exactly what happened.

Drinking more water also falls under the category of when more is less. More water means less room for food and it also get things flowing through my body and this is good. It encourages cleaning out the whole system. I need to do this everyday, not just at spring-cleaning time, or when we move.

And something else comes to mind as I think about when more is less. Do you have an inner spirit or inner voice that helps you when you get off the track in life? Listening to my inner voice more often will help me weigh less in the long run. Today I spent some time calming down to simply listen, and boy, did my inner voice let me know what was up. Here are some of the things I heard: that my portion sizes are getting larger rather than smaller, that just because I am eating something that is healthy and lower in calories, e.g., gazpacho, eating enough for a family of five in one sitting is not helpful, that I need to take the exercise part of this process to a new level, and here’s the part I liked the best, “to love myself, be patient, and be wise”.

The next few days will be spent following the advice of my inner voice. I‘ll also be getting ready visit my especially extraordinary grandsons this weekend. Being able to have fun and be active with them is a huge motivation to get this weight off.

2 comments:

priscilla said...

Sue! It IS hell. I've been on a plateau for the past 2 years and it's driving me crazy. All your comments today are especially helpful. Why do I think I can get off this mezzanine when I eat tiramisu?

lynseym said...

Sue--at the pool yesterday they gave me a laundry list of things they'd like to do this weekend and NONE of them require sitting still. :) We are excited. Bring your sunscreen because you've got some swimmer grandsons!

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller