Sunday, August 30, 2009

212.6 Gimmicks vs Good Choices

Now I know .2 of a pound is not a big deal, usually, but today it is because it represents a new all time low over the past 10 years. This morning I had moment of revisiting some of my "lose weight fast" diets. Had they worked, I wouldn't be sitting here today writing this blog. I can't remember if I have already fessed up to the fact that I have lost 50 pounds twice - twice - but couldn't/didn't keep the weight off.

I am on Twitter now and I am baffled by a lot of what goes on there. Here's an example: In my profile, I mention that I am on a slow and steady weight loss journey. Does that not imply that I am not interested in quick weight loss products, diet plans, etc. ? I have attracted followers to my Twitter site who seemingly spend all their time promoting products and gimmicks. This time around I am not interested in products and gimmicks. Learning to accept my body as it changes with the weight loss is work. I think that's kind of crazy, but true. Taking the time to adjust my self image as I lose the weight will mean that when I reach my goal, I will be on board both physically and mentally. And I will have taught myself new habits that will last a lifetime.

But there are a few things I can do to move this process on that make sense to me. In terms of what I choose to eat, eating high fiber foods really helps. This morning was a big deal... pancakes! These were not my favorite recipe, "Oh, Boy Pancakes", or Aunt Jemima pancakes, or Jiffy pancakes. These were Fiber One pancakes, and they were delicious! I added some fresh blueberries and thought I had died and gone to heaven. I ate about half of the recommended serving and that was plenty. It's kind of funny because I had that box of mix for several months, and I was afraid to use it, afraid that it would not taste good, and afraid of what the high fiber results might be. So far, so good!

Be conscious about what you are eating and when a choice is available, opt for the high fiber food. If you aren't already, you'll be amazed at the wide range of fiber content in various fruits and vegetables. Breads and cereals are also great sources of fiber, but not all are equally blessed. Remember when you were a little kid and you would read whatever was on the cereal box while you were eating breakfast? Now I read the cereal box for the nutrition info with special attention to the fiber content and amount of protein. And, I drink water like there's no tomorrow!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What adorable grandsons you have, and how cute to put them in your blog! I think the Blog is good and all part of your process.

Joanne said...

Congratulations on your new low!! That is fantastic! The boys are so cute - I loved the slideshow of your trip! Italy will be coming soon - what fun!

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller