Thursday, August 20, 2009

215.4 ... On the Road Again

Just prior to writing my first blog, my husband and I had taken a four day trip to Flagstaff, the Grand Canyon, and Sedona to celebrate our 44th wedding anniversary. We had a great time and saw magnificent sites, but I almost wished I had jumped into the Grand Canyon when I weighed myself upon our return. I thought that I could eat more, and weigh less, and I didn't take a scale with me. Since this was a driving trip, I could have taken my steadfast scale. I didn't!

Tomorrow we leave for Memphis to visit our grandsons, our especially exceptional grandsons :), and we are flying. Packing my scale may be tricky, but I am going to try to fit it in my carry-on luggage. I don't want to come back home weighing a lot more than I do today.

And, we are going to Italy in September for 10 days! What do you think of when you think of Italy? Food! Wine! So, this trip to Memphis is going to serve as a practice trip for Italy. Besides packing my scale, I will take my other tools for staying on track. I will take my habit of writing down everything I eat. I will weigh everyday, I will stick to my exercise program in addition to all the other exercise I will get playing with the boys, I'll play the 1/2 portion size card, and I will take my inner voice (and listen to it) when I need a little nudge to get back on track.

I have also thought about channeling Elvis while I am in Memphis to see if he has any weight loss tips I can pass on to you. Like me, I am sure he turned to food to damp down a lot of emotional stuff. Elvis and I don't have a lot in common, but my hunch is that at times he medicated himself with food, as have I. And, we both suffered from depression. Shortly after our family returned to Boston from our year in California, I went into a big depression spiral... maybe because I couldn't buy wine in my grocery store? No, it was more complicated than that, and I ended up taking a lot of drugs to deal with it. My weight shot up like there was no tomorrow. Since that time, I have struggled with my weight even though I haven't been on medication for depression for many years.

Now I have some tools to help me succeed on this weight loss journey. I don't want to stay home and not travel, I want to be able to eat out occasionally, and I want to be able to participate in all that life offers me. Using the tools everyday will help me lose weight and build a healthy future.

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

Travel is always tough. DO plan on having a couple of good meals in Italy, though! try walking instead of taxi-ing that day to make up for it. IT's ITALY!

priscilla said...

Listen to Kathleen, Sue. Pearl

Unknown said...

Mom,
We have a brand new scale here at the house!
Love,
Ted

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller