Monday, October 31, 2011

183.4 Does This Bother You, too?

I'm probably just being overly sensitive but the emails that are floating around aimed at older women telling them that they deserve to eat all the cookies, cakes, and pies that they want really bother me. It's sort of like giving us permission to throw in the towel and rejoice about being fat. I don't believe that everyone needs to be thin, but indulging in sweets or whatever just because you're older seems all backwards. What about the fact that issues of diabetes, heart disease, arthritis, etc., only get worse the older/heavier you are. I hope I haven't lost my sense of humor during this weight loss journey, but I really don't think these emails are helpful or thoughtful.

I'm still pondering the issue of there being a hormone (leptin) that gets out of whack and may be the reason so many big weight losers have trouble keeping the weight off. I'm not going to just give in and I hope the current evidence will be proven wrong. But if it is correct, I'm hoping before long I can pop a pill to even things out.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

I think people get confused. NOBODY can eat all the cookies and cake and pie that they want. Unless they hate cookies, cake, and pie and don't want to eat any, ever. We restrict children's intake of these things because we know there are better things for them. We need to use the same guidance for ourselves. Everyone deserves to eat all of these things. In moderation. A slice of pie, not the whole pie. Every few days, not every day. It's not a vanity thing, it's a health thing. And maybe a pill would make things easier, but I would be wary of a magic cure. People need to take a tip from you, Sue, and do it your way, first.

priscilla said...

Well said Kathleen!

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller