Thursday, October 20, 2011

Another ESL Moment

Today I was struck once again by the very special lessons I am learning from my ESL students. Locally and perhaps nationally there has been a big push called "Making a Difference". One of my students (from the Ukraine I believe) told the class today that she and her husband, who owns a construction company, wanted to make a difference so they replaced all the windows and doors in the home of a Vietnam War vet as their way of participating. I wonder how many of those who complain about immigration/immigrants have done anything to make a difference. Maybe you can tell I'm a little weary of all of the closed thinking that is alive and well in this nation of immigrants.

I also learned that one of my students from Mexico waited 9 years to get her green card to come to this country where sadly instant gratification has become a national value. It's all so strange.

No comments:

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller