Monday, October 3, 2011

182.0 An Upsetting Day

Today I headed off to go shopping and turned around because I realized that if I didn't go work out then, I probably wouldn't get it done. So I came in the house, changed my clothes and headed over to the Y. I was doing the elliptical (what else?) when a guy ran into the big workout room and yelled that a doctor was needed. Everyone froze in their tracks including me as we all became aware that someone was in some kind of trouble. I really didn't feel like continuing but I also didn't really want to leave where I was because I didn't want to see what had happened. I know that my reaction may not be typical, but that's where I was. Finally, thinking the emergency must be over, I went into the locker room, got my stuff and headed out. There was a group of guys taking turns doing CPR on the fellow who had obviously collapsed. I could hear them counting. I went on outside and then heard folks saying that no one knew who the man was who had collapsed...which is why I am writing this. And it dawned on me that no one would know who I was if I collapsed there. I show my ID card when I enter and then put it back in my wallet and lock that up in my locker.

Two fire trucks and an ambulance finally arrived which is another upsetting story. Because the Y is in Scottsdale, emergency crews had to come from a Scottsdale fire station even though there were three stations closer to the Y but not in Scottsdale proper so it did take forever for help to arrive.

Maybe I'll work out at my community center workout room. I need to think about keeping an ID with me, also. A very upsetting day.

1 comment:

queenmabby said...

oh momma, that is horrible! I worry about you guys being so isolated up there in north scottsdale:) Great reminder to have your ID - i don't keep mine on me either while working out - and an emergency number listed too maybe. i love you!

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller