Saturday, October 22, 2011

A Very Good Friend

Today I had a great conversation with my friend Barbara. She's followed my blog from the first post. She's been a wonderful inspiration for me because she never let her weight get out of control. In other words, she's always been very conscious about what she eats and how much and it's really paid off throughout her life.

After I shared the news that our daughter Alee is engaged :) to a wonderful guy, Barbara took charge of the conversation and told me that she had been wondering why I never talked about using hypnosis during this recent period of weight gain and my distress about it. She said that she was so happy to read yesterday that I was reintroducing it into my tool box! She also told me that her husband Fred lost weight after suffering some health issues and never veers from his diet. She suggested that perhaps that is the tack that I will have to take in light of my history of yoyo dieting. Much as I would like to be able to not be so obsessed with every bite, perhaps for me it is the only way I will be able to keep the lost weight at bay. I've been fighting having to live like that, but I'm beginning to understand that for me it may be the only way I am going to keep my weight under control.

Today I went out to lunch with friends and after leaving the house I went back home and filled up a little plastic bag with fat free ranch dressing. I wouldn't have bothered a week ago and would have trusted myself not to eat much of the dressing that was provided. But going through those "old" steps to insure that I stay aware really helped me. A lot of my life is not in my control, so having a few things that I can count on myself to control feels good.

No comments:

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller