Monday, November 22, 2010

171.2 Reading The Cereal Box

Remember when you were a kid, sitting at the breakfast table reading the cereal box? Well, this morning I found myself reading the box of a new high fiber cereal that Kellogg is promoting! I went to the list of ingredients and couldn't believe my eyes. After counting 20 ingredients and only being about 1/3 of the way through the list, I quit and vowed never to buy this cereal again. Oh, it tastes very good, probably due to all of the additives. But do I really need all sorts of dyes added to my cereal, chemicals for this and that? I don't think so. I took out some other boxes of cereal to compare, and all of them had fewer than 8 ingredients and no dyes. Of course, good, old fashioned oatmeal takes the prize.

I'm more at peace with the weight loss and the beginning stages of maintenance than I have been during these early days of glory :)! It feels less daunting and as long as I stay present and conscious of what I'm eating and keep exercise and drinking lots of water high on my to do list, I'll be fine.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

It's scary, isn't it? I mean what we think of as food. So little of the food we eat has actual food in it.

priscilla said...

One of the thoughts your blog has instilled in me is the idea of trust. If I have trouble losing weight, I get panicky and start perseverating on it. If I trust the process (and it IS a process as you've emphasized) and relax, I do a better job of staying conscious. You're doing it Sue!

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller