Sunday, July 17, 2011

179.0 Friday Was Not A Good Day

Friday, the day I ended up in the ER, was not a good day for another reason. A woman whom I had met the day before also ended up in the same hospital. Unfortunately, her diagnosis will not be changed.

After meeting her on Thursday, I saw her again on Friday morning and introduced her to my friend and walking buddy Linda. She explained to us that she used a walker because she had peripheral neuropathy in her left leg. (That makes my numb thumb seem much less significant.) After chatting for a bit, Linda and I walked on ahead of her and suddenly heard her cry out for help. She was in the middle of the street and had fallen. We raced back to help her and realized that she was badly hurt. To make a long story short, she was taken to the hospital and I learned that she had suffered a broken hip. She's 87 years old and now needs hip replacement surgery. I've been thinking that it is a little odd that we both had medical issues on the same day, we ended up at the same hospital, and that we both have neuropathy issues, and we live on the same street.

I woke up this morning more determined than ever to take care of myself. Accidents happen all of the time, and most accidents are just that, accidents. We think she walked into a low hanging tree branch and lost her balance trying to move away from the branch quickly. I hope that when I am 87 I will have the spunk that this gal has. I expect to see her out walking before too long with her new hip.

No comments:

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller