Sunday, June 19, 2011

177.8 The Quinine Connection!

I'm not sure if I've complained about leg cramps in this blog, but ever since my first back surgery almost 8 years ago, I've been plagued with them at night. A few weeks ago my cousin suggested that I drink (diet) tonic water because it contains quinine. His doctor suggested quinine/tonic water to him for leg cramps. So I started drinking it and the leg cramps diminished and then disappeared. Since I am of the school that if a little is good, probably a lot is better I drank more of it, and was really using it to stay hydrated in the hot sun out here. But then a few days ago, I had the sensation that something was going on with my lips and my face around my mouth, and Jeff confirmed that my face was in fact swollen. At that time I decided I had eaten too many mangoes so I stopped that but still had the problem. This morning as I was drinking the tonic water it dawned on me that maybe that was the cause. I went on line and there is a lot written about allergies to quinine. So, now, about those leg cramps....

(I'm getting ready to go out to the pool. I've checked for dead voles and night frogs. The coast is clear. Oh, I did want to say that night frogs are at least 6 inches long, not including their legs in case you pictured little 2 inch frogs.)

1 comment:

philso said...

I might add that quinine is toxic to the inner ear and that heavy use could cause hearing loss!
From your exhibitionist brother-in-law
(the guy who has lost 40 pounds and is still in free-fall!)

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller