Sunday, July 18, 2010

178.5 World Without A Compass

I almost typed World Without End, but I do know this weight loss will end in about 10 pounds.

It's hard to figure where I really am right now weight-wise because I'm weighing on my daughter Miranda's scale and I know in my heart that I weigh more than 178.5. You know, when I started this adventure and Jennifer Scott (check out her website on the right) was very adamant about weighing every day, I really resisted. First of all, all the experts said that weighing once a week was the way to go. (Of course now I believe that she's the expert.) I used to dread getting on the scale everyday but did it. What has happened is that I now value the fact that the scale has become my compass. It informs me of where I am in this vast place called weight and does help guide me through each day. So using Miranda's scale helps me know the block, but not a specific address, and I'm sure I haven't lost around 4 pounds since arriving here!

But right now I do know where I am in space. I am in a small suburb of Boston where we used to live and where our daughter Miranda now lives. We've been seeing old friends, went to a Red Sox game, we've been driving by all the homes in the area of Wellesley and Natick where we once lived (four to be exact in about an 8 mile radius - I know, I did like to move!), and we're looking forward to spending more time with our family and friends here.

Oh, did I mention we've been eating out a lot? We've been having the most delicious, fresh fish imaginable and loving every bite. We were with friends last night who have known us for about 20 years and were remembering what I used to eat and were asking if I didn't miss all the wine, the beef, the desserts, the pasta, etc., that we all used to eat together. What's so exciting and gratifying as a result of this process is that I truly don't miss the those things. I now prefer fish, salad, fresh berries, fresh veggies. And, the compliment I like best of all is not that I look so much more slender. It's that I look younger and happier. Who could ask for anything more?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hooray!

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller