Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Remembering and Acknowledging Change - It's Hard!

As one of my friends wrote, this has been a very bittersweet time for us. Spending that wonderful time with our daughters, Jud, Scott, and little Zuzu was so much fun. As a family, we all get along so well and really enjoy being together. I'm so glad we were able to spend that time in Bar Harbor with the fam!

Attending the memorial service for our friend was hard. The service was very nice and it was good to see JJ's wife and family and the friends that we had in common. When we arrived in LA, we drove around UCLA for old times' sake. But nothing is ever the same and I always want it to be. (And the sun wasn't shining - in my mind's eye it was always sunny at UCLA!) UCLA has grown and the old UCLA Med Center where I worked to help put myself through school is no longer standing. The Medical Center is now many centers and that original building has been replaced. Westwood, the "village" of LA where UCLA stands is nothing like I remember it. There are high rises where my favorite coffee shop was, and the shops are very different. We then drove out to Pacific Palisades to stay with my dear friend Barbara (from UCLA days) and her husband Fred. Barbara and I have known each other since 1961! Now that's a long time. We had a great visit with them, as usual.

2 comments:

lynseym said...

That's my girl Zuzu! She is just the best. :) so glad you got more time with her and her fantastic parents and aunt and uncle. I've already told her she can come to Camp Memphis to learn to knit and play rowdy bit games. :)

David (my brother in law--Clark's partner) and his family have a place in Bar Harbor. They were just there a few weeks ago.

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. It's hard to lose friends, especially once who played pivotal roles in your life. I'm glad you guys got to go to the funeral though.

Call soon! Your boys miss you guys!

priscilla said...

ZuZu is an adorable little girl. You have much to be thankful for--if change didn't happen she wouldn't be here!

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller