Friday, September 24, 2010

176.6 Home Alone!

Jeff's back in Boston and I'm home alone. It struck me that I could drink all of the wine I want, and eat whatever I want because no one would see me. Which led me to think about people who live alone and are trying to lose weight.

A while ago I wrote a post about whether weight is contagious. (See Weight Loss Contagion, 8/30/10.) Now I am thinking about that from a different point of view. Even though Jeff hasn't been coaching, scolding, or doing anything except encouraging me, I think his presence and his knowing what I am trying to achieve have provided a silent force that has really helped keep me honest.

No, I didn't open the wine, but I did eat more than usual. After telling Jennifer that I had eaten half of a honey dew melon, I joked with her that when she said to eat one half on her weight loss CDs she didn't mean to eat half of a melon. Oh, I know it could have been much worse, but it did cause me to think about living/eating alone and all that means. For some, it may mean that you can eat a lot less and just the food that you want because you aren't having to please another person, so that is freeing. For others it may signal that you are on your own and can get away with eating what ever and how much you want. As I learned last night, I'm going to have to please myself by staying with the program, staying aware and keeping my goal in mind with every bite.

2 comments:

priscilla said...

Last night when Phil was at the hospital I ate about 2 cups of ice cream (chocolate low fat 110 calories per 4 oz.). I thought I was over that --old habits die hard. I remember when I was little and home alone, I was enjoying a spoonful of peanut butter when Mom suddenly arrived. I ran into the bedroom and stuck the spoon in my chest of drawers. I think it stayed there for about year.

lynseym said...

We found six yogurt stick wrappers, two string cheese, three granola bar, and three or four fruit snack wrappers in Alex's laundry. The food sneakiness runs in the family, Prill.

At least you and he had youth's growth spurts to blame!

Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Susan M Miller